Recapping HHS’ Next Top Royal

• Mr. and Mrs. Hopkins Mo Robblee, junior, and Claire Dirnberger, senior, show off their crowns and scepters.

• Hopkins Raspberry Royalty, Queen Sally Meyer, Princess Keyah Adams, and Princess McKenna Moe, senior, appear at the event.

• Claire Dirnberger, senior, paints a portrait of Tyson Crockett, Dean of students, without looking at the canvas.

• Polly Lehman, junior uses Andrew Zhou, junior, as her arm to help her make a sandwich as her talent.

• Pair Sam Kaminsky and Josie Brott, seniors, show their fashion show outfit.

• Mo Robblee, junior, plays guitar and sings a song by Pink Floyd.

• Rose Soumare, sophomore, displays her talent.

• Kristina Myankova and Simran Mishra, seniors, direct the event.

Ellie Fromstein, Staff Reporter

As contestants of HHS’ Next Top Royal marched out on the catwalk during the fashion show portion of the show, Mr. John Sammler, Science, and host of the show, announced each contestant and explained their looks.

The contestants were given random items ranging from tablecloths to grocery bags to create an outfit to show the judges;  Ms. Kelly Dirks, German, Mr. Jarrin Williams, English, and Mr. Jacques Youakim, Math.

Students voted for their peers to see who would compete in HHS’ Next Top Royal.

On Jan 9, after a week of nominations, the 12 most voted students competed for Mr. and Mrs. Hopkins. Mo Robblee, junior, and Claire Dirnberger, senior, were the contestants to win the crown.

“[Through sponsorships and ticket sales] we raised over $2,500 and 62 pounds of food that will go to the ICA foodshelf.” Said Kristina Myankova and Simran Mishra, seniors, co-directors of the HHS’ Next Top.

Myankova and Mishra began to organize the event during the summer and found the organization Action Against Hunger. Action Against Hunger is a relief organization dedicated to ending malnutrition and dehydration in 45 different developing countries. After involving themselves with Action Against Hunger they came up with the idea of HHS’ Next Top Royal.

“We wanted to use the DECA board and the DECA chapter to create this event, and this is the first event ever the be done by HHS with the DECA board, so it’s exciting to see something new come alive,” Myankova said. “We’ve all worked so hard for this, and it feels good to not only help the local but the global level.”

HHS’ Next Top Royal consisted of a fashion show, a talent portion, a guest speaker and an obstacle course.

Many of the 12 contestants expressed their excitement to compete in HHS’ Next Top Royal because they were not only competing, but were representing themselves for a good cause.

“It means a lot to me. I get to show the school my [dancing] talent, while helping the community,” said Harry Momoh, senior.

Other contestants showed their talents through singing, cooking, painting, and joke telling.

Charmaine Brett, employee for the Margaret A. Cargill Philanthropies as the Program Officer for Relief and Resilience Program, was the guest speaker of the show. Brett spoke about the issue of hunger all over the world, and how amazing it is that HHS students are taking action at the local level.

“The amount of support we received from the HHS students and staff was truly a blessing. Simran and I are thankful for everyone who attended, helped, participated, and sponsored the event,” Myankova said.