The Royal Page

The Royal Page

The Royal Page

Boys soccer recap

The HHS boys varsity soccer team has started the season on the right foot. The team has been successful due to their dedication, hard work, and team spirit. They are looking forward to the rest of the season and are confident that they will continue to thrive. The team is determined to make a statement this year.

The Hopkins boys soccer started their first five games, going 3-1-1. This is a great start for the team after their previous 0-5 start last year. The team is looking to build on this strong start and hopes to finish with a higher record than last year. The boys are confident and have worked hard to improve their game.

“the HHS boys varsity soccer team has a good shot at being a state contender .” After their 2-2 tie with the Wayzata varsity soccer team, the previous number four team in the nation.  Said Sean Yaskey, 11.

Yaskey has been playing Hopkins varsity soccer for the past two years after transferring from Maple Grove High School. 

The boys ended the mid-season off with a record of 2-0-3 with a huge win over St. Louis Park 6-2. The team played well, with all players contributing to the win. Henry Risser, 11 was able to take shots on goal and take advantage of the open space and scored 3 goals leading the boys to the win. It was a great way to end the first half of the season.

After Hopkins’ 0-5 loss against Washburn ended their season, the team reflected on what they could do to come back stronger next season.

“The team can improve on starting their games off stronger,” Said Isaac Sanders, 11.

Sanders says the team needs to work on their communication and focus on the fundamentals of the game. He adds that they need to stay focused on the goal and play as a team. Isaac believes that if they work together, they can achieve success.

The Hopkins boys soccer team ended the season 6-2-7 with Griffin Price, 12, leading the team to a strong season with 17 goals and 12 assists and making the all-state team. His recognition as a Mr. Soccer finalist is a testament to his hard work and dedication. Griffin’s passion and hard work for the team have been an inspiration to his teammates and coaches. He is an incredible leader and mentor to younger players and will be greatly missed next season. His performance this season has been remarkable with many accomplishments.

Hopkins varsity soccer won their first sectional game. Sam Benz, 11, was red-carded in the first half, making it 10 v 11 for the remainder of the game. The team was able to come back and win 2-1, despite having one player down. Griffin Price, 12, and Sawyer Shelton, 11, scored in the second half and capitalized on scoring opportunities. The team’s defense held strong, stopping multiple scoring chances from Southwest. Goalie Nick Messerli, 10, made several impressive saves to ensure the victory.

The win was a complete team effort, with every player playing a pivotal role in the victory.