Top 5 winter sports moments

Apr 12, 2023

Hopkins winter sports were a thrill this year, leaving students on the edge of their seats at the Hopkins Pavilion while watching hockey or passionately chanting in the final two minutes at the RAC during basketball games. Major accomplishments and exciting finishes highlighted this year’s winter sports season, and here is a recap of those events with another segment of Top 5 Moments.

1. Hopkins goalie stops 69 shots

Although the Hopkins boys hockey team was defeated 3-0 by Wayzata in a rivalry matchup, the highlight of the game was not the final score. Sophomore goalie Carson Hauger did not have a moment to take a breath, as Wayzata hounded the goalie with 72 shots on goal. Hauger only allowed three to make it to the back of the net in a performance he will remember for the rest of his life.

1. Boys basketball sinks the ship

The boys basketball team had a chip on their shoulders after being defeated by Minnetonka in late January. The Skippers came to the RAC just weeks later for the highly anticipated rematch, and Hopkins was able to get their revenge in a high scoring 88-81 victory. The game went back and forth for all 36 minutes, and the intensity was extremely high all throughout the matchup.

1. Hopkins beats Breck in “Civil War” matchup

The boys hockey team entered their rivalry matchup against Breck on a hot streak, winning two of their last three games. Both teams knew how meaningful the game was as soon as they stepped on the ice, and the score was knotted up at two a piece going into overtime. People held their collective breaths until Weston Danks, senior, buried the game winner to give Hopkins the victory in the annual “Civil War” game.

1. Gymnastics caps off flawless season and qualifies for state

The Royals gymnastics team was able to dominate the Lake Conference this year, scoring higher than every team in the conference and beating out every out of conference opponent en route to their first undefeated season in program history. This success in the regular season carried into their performance in sections, as they got the best of the Lake Conference once again and qualified for the State Tournament. The girls placed sixth in the state in an unforgettable season.

1. Girls basketball beats Wayzata in front of sold out crowd

Number one in our Top 5 Winter Moments is the girls basketball Section Championship, where Wayzata came to the RAC to take on the Royals in front of a sold out crowd. Spectators were forced to line up around the track above the court because of the scarcity of seating just to catch a glimpse of this matchup. Wayzata held a solid lead for a majority of the game, but the Royals went on a huge run in the final five minutes to take the lead. Down by three with only five seconds remaining, a Trojan guard was able to knock down a three to even up the score and send the game to overtime. The extra five minutes of play mirrored the first 36, as Hopkins again led by three with less than ten seconds on the clock. This time around, the girls defense stepped up, leading to a victory and a punched ticket to the State Tournament.