Player Profile: Laci Provenzano

Mar 3, 2021

Laci Provenzano, senior, has been a standout athlete for the Royals since junior high. 

Competing in cross country, nordic, and track, Provenzano has proved her athletic talent in every season. She has been a member of the cross country team for four years, and has been a part of the nordic and track and field programs for six. 

“I think that competing in all three sports has definitely made me a better athlete overall,” Provenzano said. “Track and cross country are very similar except that track focuses more on speed whereas cross country has a stronger focus on endurance.”

As a long distance runner, having speed and endurance are very important. Competing in nordic has also helped Provenzano by allowing her to strengthen different muscle groups. 

“I can maintain endurance while skiing while also gaining more strength. The strength I build during nordic makes me less injury prone during track,” said Provenzano. 

While she loves all of her sports, track and field is the favorite. 

“In track, you get out of it what you put into it, and your progress is easy to see. It’s fun to go fast and watch yourself get stronger as the season progresses,” Provenzano said.

Track also has a very different environment than cross country or nordic because your teammates and fans can cheer you on every step of the way. 

In her senior season, Provenzano earned all conference in both cross country and nordic. She was also named cross country team MVP in 2018 and 2019. 

Provenzano will be joining the cross country and track and field program at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) next fall. 

Once she toured the school and got a feel for campus, Provenzano felt confident in her decision to commit. 

“After talking to the coach at IUPUI and many girls on the cross country and track teams, I could tell everyone was excited to be there. The girls on the team were super welcoming and answered all of my questions,” said Provenzano.

As she comes to the end of her high school career, Provenzano reflects on what she has learned at HHS.

“Never take a practice, meet or game for granted. Every season goes by so fast and the work you put in at the beginning really does matter,” said Provenzano. “Also know that there will be bad days but being able to persevere through those and listen to your body.”