Extreme Minnesota snowfalls take charge

Sam Martin, News Editor

Just one month since the first official snowfall of the season, the Twin Cities has already seen 45.6 inches of snow hit the ground, higher than totals from past years. The average amount of snowfall in the Twin Cities in a season is 51.2 inches.

With more snow falling than usual this winter, there has been a rise of car accidents contributed by the weather.

Jim Boulay of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources stated that the amount of snow the state is getting was expected, just not as early as it has been falling. 

17 percent of all vehicle crashes occur during winter conditions. Although the number doesn’t jump out, true winter conditions, snow and ice on the road, only make up a small percentage of the year. On top of that, 20 percent less miles are driven in winter months than in summer months. 

Just during the snowstorm that canceled the last day of school before winter break at HHS, Minnesota State Patrol reported 61 crashes involving snow from 6 A.M. to 10 A.M, with another 39 vehicles spun out or jackknifed. 

Drivers from all experiences struggle with driving in winter weather. For drivers at HHS, the risk of crashing on icy roads is higher due to their lack of experience. It’s difficult to commute to school after a snowstorm has passed the night before. 

HHS students have also been affected by the amount of snow the Twin Cities has experienced so far. 

Stella Held, junior, was involved in an accident due to the amount of ice and snow on the roads. 

“I was in a car on one of the first days it snowed and I was on the way to school. Our car tried to break but we couldn’t stop and went 35 MPH into another car,” Held said. “I badly bruised my rib and the car was totaled but everyone was okay.”

Although school has introduced the idea of having e-learning days, school has been open during snow days.

“The snow affects more people than you think. People just have to go the speed limit and break further away from cars so you have a chance to catch yourself,” said Held.

In Minnesota, snow will be a part of everyone’s life, and with the amount of snow there has been so far this season, HHS drivers have had to be careful on their commute to school.