New Minnesota law requires all students to take ACT

Randy Marchione, Staff Reporter

When the Minn. state law mandated all juniors to take the American College Test (ACT), HHS focused on organizing an in-school testing session to ensure easy access to the exam.

“The state is changing the test requirements and making students take the ACT instead of passing the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment (MCA) because [the state] feels it’s more applicable for life,” said Ms. Serena Schmidt, counselor. “They’re trying this out for college assessments.”

The ACT tests to see how much knowledge a student has retained in their schooling. The ACT test is split up into five different subjects: english, math, reading, science, and an optional writing test. Minn. will soon be the 11th state to require the ACT test for all students in their state.

“It’s an opportunity to gauge how good my learning is and where I am academically, then start looking for the right colleges based on how I do,” said Alia Stewart, junior.

Stewart believes that the test was a good opportunity for her and her classmates to represent themselves.

“A lot of students are taking the ACT anyways,” Schmidt said. “The MCA wasn’t really an important test for most people. This is something the students can really buy into, and it means more to them taking the ACT.”

Schmidt also mentioned that seniors will not be required to pass the Graduation-Required Assessments for Diploma (GRAD) test in order to graduate. Instead, seniors who were not able to take the ACT last year have the opportunity to do so this year by signing up for their own free test with the juniors. For sophomores, PLAN testing will continue as usual.

Parker Brown, junior, took the test as a sophomore.

“I don’t think this testing will have much effect on our learning in school, especially because they express the subjects we learn on this test,” Brown said.

There will also be a practice test for the ACT on Nov. 12. This practice ACT will not count towards the actual test score, but it will give newcomers a feel as to how the test operates, along with what an individual’s strength and weaknesses are.

“I’m glad there will be a practice ACT before the real one,” Stewart said. “It’s a good time to really see how this test is going to be.”

According to the Minn. state law, practice isn’t necessary for juniors who take the ACT. However, along with a few other schools, HHS will administer a practice test to help increase student success.

“The ACT is going to be a great testing experience for everybody,” Stewart said. ”It’s a great chance for HHS to see how much of an impact our learning has really made on us.”