Nelson and students gear up for Belize trip

Kennedy Pierre-Toussaint, Staff Reporter

Mr. Thomas Nelson, Science, has been a teacher for 39 years and has taught at HHS for 17 years. However, this is the first time he has ever led a class trip. Their destination: Belize.

Although Nelson has considered the idea of going on a class trip in the past, money has consistently prevented him from doing so. This year, however, money was not a problem considering the fact that many students were willing to pay the fee. 

Pier_in_Placencia,_BelizeThe Belize trip has been arranged through an organization known as EF Educational tours. This year, the total cost for one student to go is about $3,000. Any alumni or current students are welcome to join the trip.

“The students really did all the recruiting,” Nelson said.

So far, Nelson and the students have about fifteen students signed up. The students will leave on June 20 and return June 27, assisted through the week by a 24-hour tour guide.

The students will study the culture and geography of Belize while participating in activities such as snorkeling and zip lining. Locations they will visit include a rainforest, Mayan ruins, and the Ambergris Caye Island.

Anya Steinberg, junior, is one of the students who will be attending the Belize trip. 

“It was a lot of work to get the trip together, but, in the end, it will all be worth it because we get to scuba dive with Mr. Nelson,” Steinberg said.