Athletic lineage: living with sports stars

Left: Bianca Williams, senior, smiles with her brother Marcus Williams after one of his games. 
Right: Andrew Wiggins plays for the University of Kansas in college. He now plays for the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Bianca Williams and Creative Commons

Left: Bianca Williams, senior, smiles with her brother Marcus Williams after one of his games. Right: Andrew Wiggins plays for the University of Kansas in college. He now plays for the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Will Cohen, Staff Reporter

HHS is filled with athletes of all shapes and sizes, and many of these athletes are inspired and encouraged by their relatives to participate in athletics.

Some of the finest athletes at HHS were raised in families that include a professional athletics pedigree. There are both pros and cons to having athletically-accomplished relatives.

Angelica and Taya Wiggins, senior and sophomore, both know exactly what that feels like. Their brother, Andrew Wiggins, is the starting small forward for the Minnesota Timberwolves.

“There’s a pretty good amount of pressure because of our brother that can contribute to my own athletic career,” Angelica said.

Andrew comes to Angelica’s basketball games and helps critique her game by telling her things he notices she could work on.

“He plays with me and that really makes me better,” Angelica said. “He’s really good at giving me useful advice that I can easily apply to games.”

Having a relative with such high stature as Andrew Wiggins can bring about unseen challenges for high school athletes.

“People see me and assume I’m some sort of terrific basketball player who can jump three feet in the air, and that’s just not the case,” Angelica said. “I’m not like my brother, and it’s tough when people want me to be just like him.”

Bianca Williams, senior, also has a sibling who excels in his sport. Marcus Williams, Bianca’s brother, played Division 1-AA football at North Dakota State University, winning two national championships. Marcus now plays for the New York Jets in the NFL.

“It’s incredible to see him finally get what he has been working for his whole life.  My brother is by far the hardest worker I know. Everything he got, he deserved,” Bianca said.

Bianca also believes that her brother’s success has made her more motivated to create success of her own. Bianca has been on the varsity basketball team for two years and has been one of the spotlighted dancers in Deeply Royal.

“I’ve literally witnessed the grind he’s gone through. I’ve seen it with my own eyes. He made it easy for me to understand how hard you need to work in order to get to where you want to be,” Bianca said.

Ishmael El-Amin, sophomore, has a family legacy filled with a rich history in basketball. Khalid El-Amin, Ishmael’s father, won an NCAA national championship with the University of Connecticut Huskies in 1999.

“My dad won a bunch of awards and had a lot of overall success at University of Connecticut and basketball so it’s a lot to live up to,” said El-Amin.

Despite the attention that student-athletes receive from having famous athletes in the family, high school athletes feel the need to make a name for themselves, not just continue their parents legacy.

“I’m known as El-Amin’s kid, not Ishmael,” Ishmael said.

It can be hard to overcome the exceptionally high expectations of athletes who made it to the big time.

“People expect me to always perform at all times just because of my dad,” Ishmael said. “That makes it hard, but it’s not bad pressure.”

Despite having a relative play in a professional sport, two students do not follow in their parent’s footsteps. Hannah Senser, senior, and Tyron Powell, junior, both have fathers who played in the NFL.