Tailgating tradition continues at HHS

Ellie Fromstein, Staff Reporter

At Hopkins High School, there is a tradition of tailgating that usually takes place prior to the homecoming football game, where students roast hot dogs, drink pop, and prepare for the football team to step out under the lights.

This year, the tradition of tailgating is being taken to a whole new level thanks to students like Noah Harrington, senior. Harrington was brought to his first tailgate last year by Jake Fieldseth, HHS graduate of 2014. Last year’s experience with Fieldseth enticed Harrington to make tailgating a weekly production in any and every school’s parking lot.

Harrington and others, such as Blake Lambert, senior, and Willy Rohweder, junior, have tailgated before every football game this year. Harrington’s commitment to popularize tailgating with HHS students even prompted him to make the long drive all the way to Brooklyn Park for the game against Totino Grace High School. Students who have participated in the tailgate regularly plan each week’s tailgate in advance.

“At first, there was a group chat message between a few people. Then, after a successful tailgate at the first game, we made a facebook group, and that’s where we plan everything,” Harrington said.

Rohweder was introduced to tailgating by his brother who was a graduate of 2014. Rohweder did not tailgate as a sophomore but wanted to at this year’s homecoming game. His excitement and drive to have a successful tailgate was what brought Blake Lampert, senior, and the white RV.

For homecoming, students participating in the tailgate parked in the high school bus lot at 3 p.m., and tailgated until the game started at 6. Students from both Hopkins and Minnetonka witnessed a giant white RV with a loud horn playing music pull into the parking lot. The RV was surrounded by countless other cars, students driving around on motor bikes, and games of bean toss.

Lampert and Rohweder both said they wanted to make this year’s homecoming tailgate the most memorable yet, and the RV was the answer. Lambert’s family uses the custom RV for dirt biking and snowmobile racing.

“I want [a big tailgate] to be a new thing to support our football team. [Students] all got there at 3 p.m. and tailgated until the game, and that’s why we beat Minnetonka,” Lambert said.

The effort to rally support for the football team by students has been noticed by many players, including Henry Brott, junior and football player.

“When you have all that support, [from the students who are tailgating], it creates a high-energy atmosphere. We are so much more confident. We can do special things with our community behind us.”

DSC00158 DSC00176 DSC00180

On Friday, Sept. 26, Tailgaters took to the parking of Wayzata High School at 3 p.m. Simultaneously, the football team put on their pads and headed out on the field for the game. Hopkins ended regulation time with a tie, and went into overtime. The students who tailgated before the game sat in the front of the stands, cheering on the football boys. Hopkins won the game 28-21, beating Wayzata for the first time since 1999.

According to Harrington, the support from the tailgaters could be just what the football team needs to bring home conference wins.