Boys basketball preview: facing the Eagles

Kyle Miller, Staff Reporter

Tonight, Feb.19, the Royals will host the Eden Prairie Eagles in their last regular season game. The Royals enter the game with a 24-1 record and the third best team in the state.

The Royals are looking to complete their season and clinch the Lake conference with a win over Eden Prairie.

After a win over Minnetonka by a score of 111- 85 on Tuesday, Feb. 16, the Royals look to end their regular season on a five game winning streak. In the win over Minnetonka, Amir Coffey, senior and Ishmael El-Amin, junior, led the way with 19 points each. Vinnie Shahid, senior, also contributed with 16 points.

In tonight’s matchup with the Eagles, the Royals will hope to limit the offensive abilities of Owen Chose, junior, who is averaging 17.8 points per game. Another threat for the Eagles, is Brady Rudrud, senior, who is averaging 12.8 points per game.

In the Eagles, last game they lost to Edina by a score of 72-82. Kyler Kluge, sophomore, had 19 points in the loss. Chose added another 16 points. After losing their last two games by big margins, the Eagles look to end their season with a victory over the Royals.

The Royals, will again rely on the offensive ability of Coffey, and Shahid, who are scoring 20.5 and 15 points per game respectively.

Once the game with Eden Prairie is over, the Royals will begin their hunt for a state championship. The Royals hope to win their first state championship since 2011.