Left behind: coping in a world of right handed dominance

Madeline Martodam, Opinion Editor

Have you ever sat at a school desk without an arm rest? Ruined your favorite sweater by dragging your sleeve through fresh ink? Used tools, utensils, or equipment that weren’t designed for you?

If your answer was no to those questions, chances are, you’re right-handed. Most do not even notice the fact that we’re living in a right-handed world.

This makes sense on the surface because, according to Everyday Health, lefties make up 10 percent of the general population. Most do not even notice the fact that we’re living in a right-handed world.

For example, many common expressions that we say without even a thought to their true meaning have a negative connotation toward lefties.

If someone is crazy, they’re “out in left field.” A valuable assistant is considered your “right-hand man.” When it is your legal right to proceed along your route, you have the “right of way.”

All of these are derogatory towards lefties, but this is nothing new.

Dating back to the 1800s, lefties were conditioned to be righties and considered children of the devil.

It is obviously more unique to be a lefty. However, the cons surely outweigh the pros. Whether at school, home, or out in public, lefties are constantly faced with little things that are not in their favor.

During my sophomore year, Mr. Jacques Youakim, Math, brought to my attention the right-handed bias that is ever so present in a classroom setting. Since that time, I tend to observe this phenomenon more closely.

Activboards are fun to write on until I step back and realize no one can make out what I wrote because of the shadow my hand casts as I write. Spiral notebooks and binders are awkward and can be difficult to write in, especially with ballpoint pens which were designed to be pulled, not pushed, making handwriting messy and illegible. As a kid it was uncomfortable to constantly use a right-handed scissor, as the grips do not flow with the curve of a left hand.

But being left-handed isn’t only biased in the classroom; it’s getting in your car and finding the gear shift to be on your right side as well as the cup holder. For my family of four (two being lefties), it’s playing musical chairs at a restaurant so that our elbows aren’t bumping each other throughout the meal. It’s ordering custom gear for sports while almost everyone else can choose from a wide selection of colors and styles.

Most lefties assimilate from an early age and don’t always realize the additional inconveniences they face.

Fortunately, there’s still hope for us. There are special school supplies that are hard to come by, but designed specifically for this minority. If you move overseas, everything in a car will be on your left.

Next time you’re meeting someone, try shaking with your left hand and watch the awkward response you get back.