11 student-athletes participate in National Signing Day

• 11 HHS student-athletes sign their national letter of intent in the Lindbergh Center.

• Gannon Youakim, senior, signs with U of MN Morris for soccer.

• Samantha Ostenso, senior, signs with Wellesley College for volleyball.

• Vivira Livingston, senior, signs with Illinois State for basketball.

• Ruby Moreland, senior, signs with Stonehill College for volleyball.

• Taj Winston, senior, signs with St. Scholastica for football.

• Kevion McDonald, senior, signs with Stout for football.

• Michelle Guenther, senior, signs with Central Lakes College for softball.

• Grant Girod, senior, signs with St. Johns for swimming.

• John Warren, senior, signs with Augustana College for basketball.

• Molly Dionne, senior, signs with Hamline for hockey and lacrosse.

• Spencer Allen, senior, signs with University of St. Thomas for swimming.

Kyle Makey, Staff Reporter

The first-ever spring signing day at HHS saw 11 athletes sign to various colleges for their respective sports.

The cumulative GPA of the 11 athletes was 3.62 and they combined to earn a total of 47 varsity letters.

“As they go out into the world and do their many things, they are representing Hopkins,” said Mr. Jacques Youakim, Mathematics. ”It’s good to know that we have a lot of great young people representing HHS.”

Here is a list of the 11 athletes and where they are going:

Spencer Allen – Swimming – University of St. Thomas – “I chose the college because it has a really great swim program and beyond that a really great academic program.”

Molly Dionne – Hockey and Lacrosse- Hamline University – “I picked the school because I could play both sports and not have to give one up.”

Grant Girod – Swimming – Saint John’s – “I fell in love with the campus as soon as I walked it, and they have a really great business school which is what I’ll hopefully be doing next year.”

Michelle Guenther – Softball – Central Lakes College – “They had the photography I was looking for, it’s more comfortable and it’s close to home.”

Viria Livingston – Basketball – Illinois State University – “One thing I really liked about the college is that I have great relationships with the coaching staff there.”

Kevion McDonald – Football – University of Wisconsin-Stout – “I picked Stout because at Hopkins we stress a lot about family and they accepted me for who I am there.”

Ruby Moreland – Volleyball – Stonehill College – “I’m going there because I really like the team and the coaching staff is great.”

Samantha Ostenso – Volleyball – Wellesley College – “I love the coach, all the girls are really nice, and I’m really into their international relations school.”

John Warren – Basketball – Augustana University – “I chose Augustana because it has a great basketball program and because I have a great relationship with the coaching staff.”

Taj Winston – Football and Track – College of St. Scholastica – “The graduation rate there is really high and the coaches are down to earth.”

Gannon Youakim – Soccer – University of Minnesota-Morris – “I fell in love with the college and they have a really good liberal arts college and the team and players are really nice. Being in school is a competitive thing because you’re always comparing yourself to others and they push you to do the best you can.”