Six HHS athletes sign to their college of choice

The next step into the college world was taken by HHS athletes yesterday.

On Wednesday, Feb. 5, National Signing Day was held in the Hopkins High School Lindbergh Center, where six student athletes officially committed to schools within the midwest.

The decision on where to attend college for students, let alone student athletes can be exciting and difficult.

“You’re literally 17 years old and trying to figure out the next step in life, but you have to remember it’s not life or death,” said Jillaine De Young, senior. “I really looked for a school that made me proud to attend.

De Young will attend Loyola University Chicago in the Fall of 2014 to play soccer for the Ramblers.

“I chose Loyola because it was really important to me that I could picture myself there as a student and an athlete. It’s basically the best of both worlds,” De Young said.

For football player, Zach Johnson, senior, the decision to play division one football at University of Iowa felt right for many reasons.

“I have always been set on Iowa because one, It’s a D1 school and two, I grew up in Iowa,” said Johnson. “I’m Iowa grown and my grandpa really wants me to go there, so I also want to please my family.

State triple jump champion Terrance Bowers, senior, has committed to University of Minnesota Duluth for track and football.

“The people on the football team is what influenced my decision the most. The coaches were really into me and the team felt really family based,” said Bowers.

As these athletes take the next step, HHS athletics will be in their memory.

“I’ve been on a varsity soccer since the 9th grade and its taught me how to be a good teammate and leader. I’ve learned how to be competitive and have fun at the same time,” De Young said.

Not only will these athletes be on new teams, but also form new relationships.

“It will be weird going to college and building new relationships with people, but Hopkins has taught me that win or lose, being a good teammate is important,” Bowers said.

The journey to college may be scary, but there is so much for these athletes to look forward to.

“I’m gonna go there and do the best I can,” Johnson said.