Football players try a new style

Justice Feldman, Staff Reporter

Last week, many football players decided to give each other mohawks or dye each other’s hair before their game against the Edina Hornets.

The words funny, crazy, interesting, and weird have been used by students to describe the hairstyles.

In the locker room after practice last week, Zach Haley, senior captain, told the defensive line to shave their heads into mohawks before their game against the Edina Hornets to look more aggressive.

“I got a mohawk because if you’re going to be on defense you need to play like a jerk and also look like one,” said Harry Momoh, senior captain.

Most of them posted before-and-after pictures of their haircuts on Twitter and videos on Snapchat. Though they received a lot of teasing from their peers, the football players did it for a reason.

“Zach Haley and I started this trend, and it was originally supposed to be just the defense to look intimidating. I didn’t really think that many players would follow through and do it, but then everyone started to shave their heads,” said Joey Mydra, senior captain.

Some of the haircuts took place at Haley’s house before or after school.

“Getting mohawks was kind of like team bonding. It was difficult to get people to get a haircut at first, but eventually a lot of players decided to, and it even moved to the offensive line,” said Kyle Johnson, senior.

During the game on Friday against the Edina Hornets, some fans stated that it was hard to tell the players apart when they all took their helmets off.

“When I shaved my head, even my parents didn’t recognize me from the stands,” Momoh said.

Some players, including Johnson, had been growing out their hair for a long period of time and did not anticipate getting it all cut off. Other players didn’t participate at all.

“I just couldn’t do it. I have been growing my hair out for a very long time, and even though most of my teammates tried to pressure me into it, I had to refuse,” said Jack Doyle, junior.