Royals run to new rankings

Ellie Fromstein, Staff Reporter

The Lake Conference cross country meet was held at Gale Woods Farm on October 14. The race was packed with talent in both the girls and boys teams, with several state and nationally ranked teams, and individuals.

The girls team placed in fifth with Renae Anderson, junior, finishing all conference with a second place finish.

Five boys attained all-conference honors. These five were Jack Henchel, Owen Hoeft, Hunter Staack, Sam Branson, seniors, and Seth Eliason, junior.

Hoeft placed second overall behind Jaret Carpenter from Wayzata. Hoeft finished the 5k course in a stunning fashion, with a time of 15:22, ten seconds off of Joe Klecker’s school record despite running on one of the hilliest courses in the state. Hoeft was followed by Eliason who placed fourth with a time of 15:42, the fastest junior time ever run by a HHS runner.

The Royals boys team averaged 15:50, the fastest team average time in the state this year, as well as one of the fastest times in the nation. This average time bumped their national ranking up to seventh, based off DyeStat, a high school cross country and track website.

With the Lake Conference meet in the books, the Royals look forward to the section meet on October 28 to secure their spot at the state meet.