Students take on Soundset

• On Sunday, May 24, Shakopee Minn. hosts the annual hip-hop festival, Soundset.

Benji Bloom, Staff Reporter

On Sunday, May 24, Shakopee, Minn. threw one of the biggest gatherings in the state.

Soundset, a music festival, is an all-day event held at Canterbury Park that consists of non-stop music. This year, Soundset brought in performers like Big Sean, Logic, Ice Cube, J. Cole, Clockwork Indigo (Flatbush Zombies & The Underachievers), Atmosphere, Vic Mensa, Vince Staples, Freddie Gibbs, and many more.

The festival packed in 40 artists in just 10 hours of time, lasting from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Although it rained for most of the festival, the weather didn’t seem to stop the fans from enjoying themselves.

Patrick Hanley, senior, was in the front row for Soundset.

“The main reason I went to Soundset was because I wanted to see Big Sean and J. Cole perform. Even though they were later, I got to see a lot of the smaller artists, like Father and Vince Staples,” Hanley said.

This was the eighth annual Soundset, and once again, it was a major success, selling out two days before the show with an estimated 30,000 people in attendance. Soundset will be returning to the Twin Cities in 2016 at the State Fair grounds.

“J. Cole was my favorite artist at Soundset. The best songs that he performed were definitely ‘A Tale of Two Citiez’ and ‘G.O.M.D.’”, said Nate Bailey, senior.