Students celebrate LGBTQIA youth at QROM

• Students participate in the dance at QROM.

• Students celebrate at QROM, which took place on April 9.

• Sam Clague, junior, and Justin Pierce, junior, dance at QROM together.

On April 9, HHS’ Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA) hosted its annual Queer Prom (QROM) at the Eisenhower Community Center in Hopkins. This year’s theme was True Colors.

QROM was open to all students of the Hopkins and Minnetonka community, despite the message the dance is intended to spread. Z Herstig, sophomore and Co-President of GSA, says that the dance is put on to celebrate and welcome to all students of all sexualities and genders.

“[GSA] puts on [QROM] every year for LGBTQIA plus inclusive youth, meaning anyone who’s anyone can go,” Herstig said. “We do it because some schools aren’t welcoming to LGBTQIA students, and we want to give [student] the opportunity to meet each other and celebrate who we are together.”

This year, GSA raised money by fundraising at Pizza Rev and Yogurt Lab in Hopkins. All proceeds from the fundraiser were used to continue the tradition and pay for the entertainment provided at the dance. Instead of selling tickets to the dance, GSA asked for donations at the entrance.

“We did suggested donations because we want people to come and have a good time, whether they had money or not,” Herstig said. “It was three dollars or five; we just want to keep the tradition going.”

Though an annual event, this was Shannon Adam’s, senior, first and final year to attend QROM.

“For my first QROM, it was was welcoming and fun, and there were no standards or judgments,” Adam said. “Not enough schools have that opportunity, especially public schools, so I think it’s really cool and I think it’s a way for everyone to feel included.”

While it was Adam’s first time attending, she still noticed differences from QROM and HHS’ Prom.

“For me, QROM is more relaxed,” Adam said. “At QROM you don’t have to pay for a ticket and you’re not required to dress up, which makes the occasion a little bit more welcoming, but there’s also classic Prom that you go to to experience the full big fancy atmosphere.”

For those who don’t agree with the premise of QROM, Adam believes they just don’t understand the lives of LGBTQIA youth.

“People don’t understand it. It’s kind of like it’s because you’re not in that position, so you can’t really know what it’s like to be judged or excluded,” Adam said. “Not everyone understands and not everyone agrees.”

Herstig believes there is a simple solution to those willing to learn.

“Please feel free to stop by and ask questions,” Herstig said. “Ask questions and see what we’re about. Anyone’s welcome.”

GSA meets Tuesday morning at 7:15 in the KHOP room. For more information, contact Herstig or other co-President Amber Johnson, junior, Mr. Jarrin Williams, Language Arts, or Mr. David Williams, Language Arts.