Girls swim competes at section meet

Seth Eliason, Staff Reporter

This weekend, the girls swim team took on the section meet with great success.

The girls had many strong performances, including the 200 free relay swam by Campbell Teigen and Josie Berman, seniors, Molly Meland, freshman, and Jordan Ashby, sophomore. The relay swam to a fourth place finish in the finals on Saturday.

One of the biggest highlights for the Royals was a third place finish in the 400 free relay swam by Berman, Ashby, Ellen Hofstede, freshman, and Ellen Sussman, junior.

“The whole relay got together, and we were chanting and jumping up and down. Then when the race started we were cheering the whole time, and the second she finished we all were so happy to get third. It was just great,” Berman said.

Meland also had strong races in the 50 free, where she placed a surprising fourth after being ranked eighth going into the race, and in the 100 fly, where she placed second, sending her to the state meet. Meland has made it to the state meet now for three years in a row, going back to seventh grade.

The Royals faced some disappointment though when their medley relay got disqualified due to a false start. They were hoping for a top finish but were unable to place do to the disqualification.

Meland will be swimming at the U of M Aquatic Center for the state meet. The meet begins Nov. 18, and the finals will be swam on Nov. 20.

The Royals as a team placed fourth at the two-day meet this weekend. They graduated many seniors but, with young talent, are looking for great things to come in the next few years.