Player Profile: Darryl Mayfield

Mar 8, 2017

Darryl Mayfield, senior, is a key role player for the Royals boys basketball team, which achieved a 21-5 record in the regular season. The Royals start section play tomorrow night in a home matchup against Minneapolis Southwest at 7pm.

Mayfield has played basketball since he was three years old. It’s always been a big part of his life and has grown gradually through his high school career.

“I’ve been playing for 15 years now. Basketball is a big part of my life and I’m hoping to play in college at a Division One level or any other opportunity I am given,” Mayfield said.

Throughout Mayfield’s playing career there have definitely been a lot of great memories but his favorite one is when he a hit a buzzer beater shot from half court to win the game.

Mayfield played on the Junior Varsity team last year and worked out a lot in the off season, so he could be a role player for the Varsity squad this year.

“I worked out hard during the summer, I tried to make it up to open gym every time I got the chance so I could improve my game. Hopkins is always a competitive basketball team to play for, so you always have to try and improve,” Mayfield said.

As the section tournament opens up tomorrow night, Mayfield’s hope is to return to the State Championship and repeat as champions.