Mafe shows out at All-Star Football Game

Dec 7, 2016

Mafe runs out of the locker room preceding the All-Star game.

The Minnesota Showcase, officially called the “Minnesota Football Coaches Association Tackle Cancer All-Star Football Game,” took place at US Bank Stadium on Dec. 3.

As far as the game goes, the North scored first, with 5:42 left in the first half, when Alexandria Area quarterback Jaran Roste threw a seven-yard touchdown pass to Andover wide receiver Michael Wandmaker.

The South didn’t answer that touchdown until 10 minutes remained in the fourth quarter. Grand Meadow running back Christopher Bain scored a two-yard touchdown run, and Mike Grant, head coach of Eden Prairie during the season, elected to go for two. He turned to Benilde St. Margaret’s offensive lineman Eric Wilson, who barrelled across the goal line as a fullback and got the two points to go up 8-7.

The North tried to muster up a comeback, but Edina’s defensive back Brock Boltmann, who also played quarterback for Edina, intercepted a pass and returned it forty yards for a South touchdown. After East Ridge kicker Grant Ryerse hit the extra point, the South team was up by eight points, and the North could not overcome this deficit and lost the game 15-7.

The Royals also had two athletes selected to compete in the Minnesota Showcase: Malik Lofton and Boye Mafe, seniors. However, Lofton elected to turn down the offer, leaving Mafe as the lone representative of HHS.

“It was a big honor being selected to play in the All-Star game. I wasn’t super excited about it at first, though, because I didn’t know anyone that was going to be there. I made a bunch of friends going through the process,” Mafe said.

It’s no surprise that Mafe was selected to compete, as he has also been named on the West Metro All-District team and the All-Metro second defensive team. He achieved this with by having 78 tackles on the season, including ten tackles for losses, and four sacks.

John Denhartog, Royals head football coach, has not seen an athlete quite like Mafe before.

“I think he’s a real gifted athlete, being 6’-5” and weighing 220 lbs., you don’t see a lot of guys are as fast and as strong as he is. It’s very impressive what he’s done and he’s represented Hopkins well,” Denhartog said.

Royal alumni have recently found success in collegiate and professional football, including Mannie Kugmeh, who attends Bemidji State, Dylan Drone, who attends UW-Stout, JT Denhartog, who attends UW-Eau Claire and, Terrell Sinkfield, who has signed with several different NFL teams.

As far as the All-Star game, Denhartog has only positive things to say.

“I think it’s great. Kids from all around the state get to come together and be with kids their age. They all make good relationships with each other that can last a very long time,” Denhartog said.

Mafe feels the same way, but the reality of the game didn’t hit him right away.

“I took it as a normal game at first, but during halftime, I realized that this would be the last time I would wear a Hopkins jersey, so the reality definitely set in then,” Mafe said.