OT goal by Akin sends girls soccer to 4-0

Sep 7, 2016

Ruby Krietzman

Ashley Akin, senior, fights for the ball.

After a week off the Royals girls soccer team continued where they last left off. Last night the Royals faced a very tough competition, against the Minnetonka Skippers.

The Skippers have always been one of the Royals biggest rivals in girl’s soccer. It has been multiple years since the Royals have beaten them.

However, last night the Royals battled against the Skippers at the Hopkins stadium. With the game tied 1-1 and 40 seconds remaining in overtime, Ashley Akin, senior, took a shot from about 20 yards out sending the ball over the goalies hands into the back of the net. With a final score of 2-1, The Royals improve to 4-0 and 1-0 in the lake conference.

“I was very excited. It was such an intense game and I always feel like overtime is just a formality, rarely do teams score because everyone is tired from a full 80 minutes. It was very fast paced all the way to the end and then we were all just so relieved to have come out on top. Akin said. “For the four years I’ve been on the team we haven’t beat Tonka and it’s very frustrating because our games are always super close. To start out the conference play with a win against Tonka is just such a good thing to be able to say and it makes me really proud of the team.”

The Royals hope to continue their great start, with their next game against the Benilde St. Margaret’s Red Knights tomorrow at 7:00 p.m at BSM.