Shrinking Team

Despite having the lowest number of athletes in years, the girls track team is working hard to place.

Bit Klecker, sophomore, in first place for the 4x800 meter relay.

Bit Klecker, sophomore, in first place for the 4×800 meter relay.

Kyle Makey, Staff Reporter

This season, the girls track and field team looks to build off of an encouraging season last year. However, they will have to do so with significantly less girls on the team.

The drop in participation hurts the team competitively this year because fewer girls means fewer opportunities for members to focus on their events.

Terese Warden, senior and captain, notices the drop in participation in both track and cross country and believes it is not good for the team.

“This has affected the team because we have to have so many girls, like myself, run many events,” said Warden.

Track and Field, contrary to popular belief, is not all about running the 100 meter dash. There are many events to compete in on the track team, not just running. Warden thinks that this misconception could be a cause for drop in participation.

“I think girls are either just not joining because they don’t realize how there is a spot for everyone on the team,” said Warden.

This year’s track team also boasts a big senior class, meaning next year’s team will be in even more trouble.

“It will affect the girls even more next year because we have a lot of strong seniors,” said Warden.

Competitively, smaller numbers mean less people to compete in their best events and have to compete in a higher number of events, which is extra stress added to the body. According to Warden, injuries do happen often in track and field.

“It hurts the team competitively because we get worn out and if one crucial member gets injured, then there is a large hole in our lineup,” said Warden.

Her message to people who are thinking about joining is quite simple.

“You can jump, throw, pole vault, hurdle, or run.”