Students manage cubs in Royal Den Playschool

The+Child+Pyschology+II+at+HHS+is+opening+its+annual+playschool%2C+The+Royal+Den+starting+April+21st.+

The Child Pyschology II at HHS is opening its annual playschool, The Royal Den starting April 21st.

Judaisha Jackson, Staff Reporter

The Child Psychology II class is getting ready to put on its annual Royal Den Playschool. The Royal Den Playschool will start on Tuesday, April 21 and last through June 3. In order for children to come to the playschool, they must be at least three years old and potty-trained.

Ms. Patty Ormson, FACS, is excited for the students to apply skills they learned in class to real-life situations.

“They’ve learned time management, patience, organization, and many more skills to help them work with the children,” Ormson said. “It’s going to be a really good experience for everyone.”

Carissa Hilgers, senior, and former student of Child Psychology II, describes Royal Den as one of her favorite experiences.

“Getting to know each one of them as an individual, figuring out what they like or don’t like, and seeing how they act around other children was awesome,” Hilgers said.

The students will do arts and crafts with the children and introduce them to math and reading. Kaylin Smith, senior, is particularly excited for arts and crafts.

“Art projects are so much fun,” Smith said. “It’s like I get to relive my childhood.”

Each day the class will have a theme. Hilgers says choosing a theme was her favorite part of the experience.

“One day our theme was America, so we made an American flag with their handprints, had strawberries and blueberries with whipped cream, and had a whole lesson revolved around America,” Hilgers said.

The Royal Den started in 2004 and the program has received a lot of support ever since.

“The parents love it,” Ormson said. “I still get emails from parents whose children attended two years ago telling me how much their children enjoyed it.”

Ashley Bates, junior, is looking forward to working with the children.

“I have siblings so I know a little bit about taking care of children,” Bates said. “But this is awesome because it’s something I can put on my resume.”