Nelson receives Evans Scholarship

Molly Abbott Ladner, Staff Reporter

Greens, roughs, birdies, and small-talk have defined the last 10 summers for Luke Nelson, senior and golf caddie.

“[Golf is] not an easy game. You can play the round of your life one day, and wake up the next day forgetting how to swing. It’s a frustrating and humbling sport, but it builds integrity,” Nelson said.

Nelson started playing when he was seven.

“My dad taught me. I would go to the [driving] range with him or chip and putt with him when I was little,” Nelson said.

In seventh grade, Nelson joined the high school golf team and was introduced to caddying by David Branstad, HHS varsity golf coach.

A caddie is someone who tends to a golfer. They have many duties such as attending to the flagstick, carrying the golf bag, raking the bunkers and, most importantly, enhancing the golfer’s overall experience.

“Over the years, I have had the opportunity to get to know [Luke] through teaching him in golf, at Oak Ridge Country Club as a caddie, [a] bag room employee, and also coaching him on the golf team,” Branstad said.

Playing on a private course while having the opportunity to make money was enough incentive for Nelson to start caddying.

“The [Chick] Evans Scholarship presented itself and became one of the biggest motivating factors of my work,” Nelson said. “The scholarship process ultimately begins the first day you start caddying. The four years I have been caddying have taught me how to build relationships [with customers and peers] that are valuable.”

The Chick Evans scholarship is a scholarship geared towards sending caddies to college. The applicants are evaluated on their academics, financial need, character, and caddying experience.

In Nov., Nelson found out he was a finalist.

“The next step of the process was an interview on Dec. 2 at the Minikahda Club in Minneapolis. I figured it would be somewhat like a job interview, but it was in a room filled with 80 committee members and officials. [It was] more like a press conference,” Nelson said.

Soon after, Nelson was notified that he had been chosen to receive a four-year full-ride scholarship to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. The scholarship was awarded by the Western Golf Association.

“It is a huge honor to be awarded this kind of opportunity,” Nelson said. “You need to have a strong caddie record, which means becoming a familiar face at the club [where you work], along with giving your best work to all members. It is incredible to be recognized for my work.”

Nelson has a strong passion for the game.

“[Nelson] always remains upbeat. Even after a bad shot or bad hole, he keeps it together,” Branstad said. “He has always made caddying and golfing a priority. He loves golf, and he loves working on his game.”

Nelson looks forward to the upcoming golf season this spring, along with continuing to caddie over the summer each year.

“I will work at Oak Ridge Country Club this summer and in the summers to come,” Nelson said. “[The scholarship] opens up doors to whatever career path you desire. I see myself somewhere in a business environment, but golf will always be a part of my life.”