Students invest in college

Is it worth the money to extend your education?

Brit Stein, Print Editor in Chief

Megan McArdle, Newsweek magazine journalist, boldly stated that “the extra time and money spent pursuing a college diploma will leave [kids] worse off than they were before they set foot on campus.” McArdle’s article, titled “Is College a Lousy Investment,”brought to the attention of thousands of subscribers that as a society, we should question the value of higher education. I am one of those subscribers.

As I anxiously await admissions decisions and scholarship details from eight universities,  I can’t help but wonder whether college is an investment worth making. Questioning the value of education, however, seems quite silly – like questioning the value of happiness or fun.

Still, there is no denying that the price of a college education has nearly doubled since 1995.  According to McArdle’s article, More than half of all recent graduates are unemployed or in jobs that do not require a degree. The amount of student-loan debt carried by households has more than quintupled since 1999, and the average college student in 2011 graduated with $26,600 in debt. Yes, college graduates make 80 percent more than people who only have a high school diploma, but most of these college graduates are not able to pay off their student loans for decades.

Modern American society pressures young adults into going to college, advertising it as an “investment in yourself.” The return on that investment for college is not enough to pay off the student loans in a timely fashion. Still, high school students feel that they must conform to conventional thinking and go to college in order to succeed, and HHS students are no different.

“I feel HHS makes it seem like going to college is the only way to be successful. We take all these AP classes to stretch ourselves and get college credit. In advisory, we always talk about college as if it is the only option for next year,” said Cristina Brown, senior.

Teachers such as Mr. Dale Stahl, Social Studies and Department Chair, stress that college is not the only option after high school, such as on-the-job training or apprenticeship programs.

“[Post-secondary education] is more about continuing your learning in a field or in a discipline that you are either interested or motivated in pursuing. I try and emphasize that going to a four-year college is only one of the ways to be successful,” Stahl said.

Stahl’s belief brings me to an important statement by James Heckman, Nobel-Prize winning economist.

“Even with high prices [for higher education], you’re still finding a high return for individuals who are bright and motivated,” Heckman said.

Essentially, what Heckman is saying is that what you get from a college education is proportional to what you put in. Even if college costs nothing, if you learn nothing, it is expensive.

“You’re going to need to be motivated and study in college just to pass the classes. College students need to figure out the right techniques to find success in college and make the investment of college worth it instead of wasting thousands of dollars,” said Joe Nelsen, senior.

In addition to encouraging students to find the best education programs after high school, HHS teachers  should strive to keep students inquisitive and motivated about their interests. Subsequently, HHS students should continue to further their academic interests, continuing to invest in their education.

“A lot of students, especially seniors, feel like once they get accepted to college, it is an excuse to stop trying because they think they have a future. Seniors don’t make a whole lot of changes in their GPA or academic progress, and their drive is non-existent. But, students fail to realize that your progress senior year matters,” Nelsen said.

Nelsen’s statement is often echoed by HHS faculty throughout the year.

“I think we need to do a better job of making students aware of their education. Students need to learn the value of learning, and this is what will make them successful in life or in their education. I want students to find joy and be passionate in the process of learning,” Stahl said.

Regardless of the price of investing in college, it’s true worth is determined by how much is learned.