If food could fly: Let’s not

Gannon Youakim, Opinion Editor

As of late, I find myself needing to keep my eyes peeled for projectiles launched by those who find using their peers for target practice entertaining.

Dodging flying fruit is not how I want to spend my lunch.

It seems, however, that this is what I have to do. I notice that some students are taking pleasure in throwing food items at each other, especially oranges and apples, during the waiting period between eating lunch and going to class.

This shouldn’t be a problem during the 40 minutes we are allotted to eat our food during school. Students should be able to sit down, eat, and converse. When they are finished with this process, they should feel secure as they wait for passing time to begin.

They shouldn’t have to worry about being spattered with leftover lunch.

Why is it fun to torment those you go to school with? What is so rebellious about throwing food at unsuspecting individuals? What are you seeking from this act?

If it is admiration for the ‘bravery’ of doing something that can result in punishment, you are receiving it from scant few.

I would like to stand proudly beside my companions in learning. However, respect given is respect earned. Because students decide to abuse their classmates by pelting them with food, I am losing respect for them.

While walking through the halls, I also notice that food has been discarded and often crushed into the tile or carpet.

This is repulsive.

The lack of maturity and responsibility displayed by this tendency is appalling. Students can complain about their lack of freedoms, but if you cannot be held accountable to walk over to a trash bin and dispose of your garbage, it isn’t reasonable to let you off campus to go eat food.

Once again, I find myself thinking of respect. If students don’t respect the building in which they have to spend five days of the week enough to keep at least a semblance of cleanliness, why should their desires be respected in return?

The sad thing is, those who pursue these pathetic pastimes are a minority. The majority of students do have respect for the school, and each other. They are the ones who have to suffer these indecencies.

Aim to be like these students. Learn to respect and, in turn, earn respect from your peers. Do not throw food during lunch and pick up after yourself.

In short, don’t be an idiot. Stay classy HHS.