Player Profile: Abby Martin

Apr 28, 2017

Abby Martin, junior, runs with ball up field. The Royals and Martin recently just won their first conference game in two years.

provided by Abby Martin

Multi-sport athlete Abby Martin, junior, is looking to improve friendships and team community while leading the Royals to some big wins this season.

Martin has been playing lacrosse since eighth grade, at the age of 14. Martin started lacrosse much later than most, but has previous sports experience from soccer which she is still currently playing, being voted captain for the girls team this upcoming 2017 fall season.

“I play club soccer and high school soccer, so I have definitely invested more time into it, but I am starting to like it better. Soccer is my main sport, but lacrosse is becoming my preferred one,” Martin said

The Royals took a win their first game 9-7 against the St. Louis park Orioles. Martin, playing midfield, recorded four shots in the win.

“I feel the first performance was kinda just getting ourselves back into it as a team,” Martin said. “We have a lot of new players so we have to learn how to play with each other.”

The Royals recorded a loss their second game vs. the Edina Hornets where they lost by a large deficit of 16-4. Martin recorded an assist and a shot at midfield.

“We have a good sense of community, even if we lose we still laugh on the bus and we can joke around,” Martin said.

Martin is a very friendly person that brings lots of positive energy and vibes onto the playing field whether it is practice or the real thing.

“I have so many relationships that I have made with certain people on the team that I never have classes with so I would never really get to know them,” Martin said.

Martin looks to strengthen relationships and keep up momentum as the Royals look to start a win streak, coming off of their first conference win in two years against Wayzata.

“People should expect from me to be a team player and just help out the team as much as I can, just not be and good ball hog and be a good teammate,” Martin said.