Girls’ Lax: Recap of double OT win and first conference win in two years

Apr 25, 2017

The+girls+lacrosse+team+poses+during+school+with+their+spirit+clothes+on.+Photo+was+taken+the+day+of+Royals+vs+Trojans%2C+where+they+won+their+first+conference+match+in+two+years.+

provided by Sammi Galinson

The girls’ lacrosse team poses during school with their spirit clothes on. Photo was taken the day of Royals vs Trojans, where they won their first conference match in two years.

Yesterday, April 24th, the Royals girls’ lacrosse team picked up their first conference win in two years after beating the Wayzata Trojans in a nail-biter in double overtime.  

At the beginning of the game, Kylie Hanley, junior and Sadie Skadron, senior, captain, traded off scoring goals. First, Skadron scored and then after Hanley scored, and then Skadron scored again, and then Hanley scored again. Then Luci Swift, senior, captain scored and then Sammi Galinson, senior, captain scored and then Hanley and Galinson each scored one more goal.

“I was a little nervous at the end of regulation because they had a free shot on net! But, our new sophomore goalie, Abbie Ansel had an amazing save to send it into OT,” Galinson said.

However, one of the most exciting goals for the girls’ was Galinson’s final goal.

The Royals battled during the first overtime, and nobody scored, but then one minute into the second overtime, Galinson scored and the Royals were relieved to have overcome a tight game.

“When the final shot came down to me on the 8 meter, I took a deep breath and ran to the net and took a shot at the lower right corner. My teammates came and all gave me high fives and hugs and I was super happy,” Galinson said. “My goal for the season was to win a conference game and we did it pretty early in the season.”

Galinson is very proud of all the girls and can’t wait to see what’s ahead.

“I couldn’t be more proud of my team, and I can’t wait for the rest of the season,” Galinson said.

The next game will be tonight [April 25th] at HHS as they face another in-conference tough game against the Minnetonka Skippers.