Stuck in Dallas

Apr 21, 2017

Spending 15 hours in an airport with 23 students is not an ideal way to spend a Sunday night, but Ms. Jennifer Heimlich, social studies, made the best out of the situation.

“It was stressful to manage all of the students because we were in an unlocked room overnight, it was terrible. The kids were great though, the students were amazing. They were really cooperative and really in good spirits for the icky situation we were in though,” Heimlich said.

Over Spring Break, students in AP World History and five teachers, including Heimlich, visited China and explored the many great landmarks of the ancient country. The flight back on Sunday, April 16, however, posed some unexpected hurdles that delayed the trip from returning home on time.

The turbulence began when the American Airlines flight from Shanghai to Dallas was delayed for two hours until the plane was finally given a position in line and was able to take off. Unfortunately, it was too late, and the students arrived in Dallas only to miss their connection.

While three students and the rest of the teachers were chosen to board an earlier flight home, Heimlich and the remaining students were stuck in the airport overnight with little entertainment.

“We ate barbecue and we played cards, and that’s about it,” Heimlich said.

To make matters worse, the airport did little to accommodate the remaining members of the trip. They were given a conference room with broken cots and seven dollars for breakfast, according to Heimlich.

Fortunately, everyone made it back to Minn. by Monday, April 17, but the airline did not compensate the students and teachers for the delay, which is currently being reviewed by officials.