Player Profile: MaKenzie Merritt

Apr 20, 2017

MaKenzie+Merritt%2C+senior%2C+looks+for+sign+from+Zoe+Jeske%2C+junior%2C+catcher.+Merritt+and+the+Royals+beat+the+Trojans+17-9.+

Dan Crouser

MaKenzie Merritt, senior, looks for sign from Zoe Jeske, junior, catcher. Merritt and the Royals beat the Trojans 17-9.

MaKenzie Merritt, senior, a passionate and very decorated athlete will be returning in her senior year as a captain, and is looking to lead the Royals back to the state tournament appearances.

Merritt started playing softball when she was just eight years old.

“My parents encouraged me more into it, and my uncle got me started with pitching and I enjoyed playing the game,” Merritt said.

Merritt has come an extremely long way since age eight and has won many awards including: 2x honorable mention, all conference, all section, MVP, most improved offensive player, and was voted captain of the Royals team this season.

“Makenzie is a very passionate player and her passion comes out in the way that she performs, she holds herself to a high degree of excellence, and therefore by doing that she leads by example,” said assistant varsity coach, Carl Yancy.

Merritt is the starting pitcher which is a very key position to the team, and is looking forward to working hard her final year as a Royal and enjoying every moment with her teammates.

“I am looking forward to continuing my softball experience and playing my sport at the next level,” Merritt said.

The awards that Merritt has achieved are very impressive, but her most major recognition so far in her career is a commitment and softball scholarship to Northern State University, in Aberdeen SD.

“Thank you to all the time my family put in and the constant support from my parents and grandma and my teammates pushing me to get better and the help from my coaches here at HHS,” Merritt said.