GSA hosts Queer Prom

Apr 6, 2017

Lily+Day%2C+Layschel+Kemp%2C+Rose+Soumare%2C+seniors%2C+and+Ben+Herstig%2C+junior%2C+pose+in+front+of+representative+flags.+

Justin You

Lily Day, Layschel Kemp, Rose Soumare, seniors, and Ben Herstig, junior, pose in front of representative flags.

On Saturday, April 1, the HHS Gender Sexuality Alliance [GSA] club hosted its annual Queer Prom [QROM]. This year’s theme was MasQUEERade.

GSA had been preparing for the event since Drag Queen Bingo in February, which was an effort to fundraise for QROM.

Rather than charge a set price for tickets, the club encouraged attendees to donate, asking from anywhere between two to ten dollars for admission to the dance.

“Events like these get people who are LGBTQ+, or other minority groups, out there and in the open being comfortable in spaces where they are accepted,” said Moe Antar, sophomore.

The Eisenhower community center lunchroom was decorated in rainbow flags, gold beads, and colorful lights, creating an inclusive and vibrant environment ideal for dancing celebrating the diversity at HHS.

However, as one of the few QROM dances in the area, it was also open to the broader community for those whose schools don’t host similar events. In order to publicize QROM, the GSA club passed out flyers at the Minnesota Out Front Youth Summit, encouraging high school students from around the metro area to attend.

“We need to make sure that as a community we practice what we preach, and we make sure that everyone is included no matter what their sexuality is or what they identify as,” said Emily Goering, junior.