New look o-line & backfield to propel Vikings to successful ground game

The Minnesota Vikings had some off-season signings that will hopefully help them improve from last year. A big one being, former Oakland Raiders running back, Latavius Murray.

On Mar. 16, the Vikings signed Murray to a three-year deal worth 15 million dollars, according to NBC. The Vikings were able to save a lot of money by signing Murray instead of former RB, Adrian Peterson. Peterson would’ve been paid 18 million for this year alone.

Over the last three years, Murray has played in 45 games to Peterson’s 20. Peterson has rushed for 1,632 yards and 11 touchdowns compared to 2,278 yards and 20 TDs for Murray, per NFL.com. Murray, who is also a lot younger than Peterson, has more a future than Peterson because Murray has only been in the league for three years compared to 10 years for Peterson.

Murray was drafted in the 6th round at 181st overall of the 2013 draft. Even though Murray was taken so late, he has really stepped up his play.

In his 2nd year, Murray ran for over 1,000 yards and last season he rushed for 12 TDs. Murray will really have to prove himself this year with the Vikings as they were ranked dead last in rushing yards per game last year.

With this is mind, the Vikings went out and signed two new offensive lineman, Riley Reiff and Mike Remmers. They are hoping these additions will help improve the rushing game.

Murray who formerly wore number 28 for the Raiders will no longer wear it as a sign of respect to Peterson. He has already made an impact on the team and to all the Vikings fans with one of his posts on Instagram regarding Peterson.

“There wasn’t a thought in my mind to try and wear or ask for the number 28. I have too much respect for AP and so much respect for what he’s done and what he means for this organization,” Murray said on his post on Instagram.

Austin Lehman, junior, who is a huge Vikings fan had a lot of respect for what Murray said.

“When I saw the instagram post, I instantly was excited for this guy to be on the team. I thought it was very mature for what he did and I gained so much respect for him,” Lehman added “I can’t wait to see how he can impact the team in the future years.”