Royals survive and advance; face Elks in finals

Bea Frank

Dlayla Chakolis, sophomore, goes up for a basket in the state quarterfinal game. Chakolis scored a total of 13 points against Minnetonka.

The Royals girls basketball team defeated the Eastview Lightning on Thursday, March 16 by a score of 64-59. The game, which took place at Williams Arena, was the class 4A state semifinals.

Paige Bueckers, freshman, led the Royals with 31 points, matched her season high, which she had previously set during the Minnetonka game.

The Royals were winning throughout the whole game, but Eastview cut their lead down drastically during the last three minutes of the second half.

“Eastview did a great job of applying pressure, and making us turn the ball over,” Bueckers said.

Despite the game reaching as close as three points, the Royals were able to secure their win by staying calm and knocking down their free throws.

“We did a good job of keeping our composure and staying poised,” Bueckers said.

The Royals were not surprised that the game was so close. They knew that Eastview would be a difficult opponent and they played the game with this in mind.

“Eastview is a very tough team,” Dlayla Chakolis, sophomore, said.

Chakolis, who recorded seven rebounds and two steals for the Royals, was just happy that she got to play. After feeling ill after the Minnetonka game, she spent time in the emergency room on Wednesday, March 15.   

This state tournament week has been plagued with illness for the Royals. Dee-Dee Winston, senior, was unable to play in the Minnetonka game because of a high fever. She returned and started for the Royals in the Eastview game.

Though they are excited about their victory, the Royals can’t celebrate for long. They will take on the Elk River Elks on Saturday, March 18 in the state championships. Just like the Royals, the Elks had an undefeated regular season.

“I’m super pumped that we pulled this game out, but I know we have one more game. We will prepare for Saturday’s game by practicing hard,” Bueckers said.

The Royals will take on Elk River at Williams Arena at 6:00. If they win, they will win the class 4A state championships.