Schultz selected as Edina Superintendent

Last night, the Edina Public School District announced that Dr. John Schultz, Superintendent, has received the Superintendent position for the Edina Public School system.

After four hours of discussion, the board voted 5-2 in favor of Schultz.

As reported by the Star Tribune, Schultz had applied for the position early on but withdrew his candidacy. Schultz re-entered the race just last week and was announced a finalist on Friday Mar. 3. In an email interview, Schultz explained his desire to join the Edina School District.

“I applied in Edina because I have always wanted to share my leadership gifts and broaden my view of public education,” said Schultz.

Schultz and the Edina School Board are currently negotiating the terms to his contract.

Schultz is in the first year of a three year contract with Hopkins Public Schools making $199,672 for the 2016-2017 school year. For the 2017-2018 school year, Schultz would have made $203,666. Schultz was set to make $207,739 for the 2018-2019 school year.

The other finalist was Eric Schneider, Assistant Superintendent of Instruction for Minnetonka Schools. The board members who voted for Schultz cited Schultz’s experience as Superintendent and how Schneider lacked experience in that position.

Edina’s board treasurer, David Goldstein, commented on Schultz’s successfully running a district with financial and demographic challenges, according to the Star Tribune.

42 percent of students in the Hopkins Public School system are students of color, compared to 23 percent of Edina’s student body.

Before voting, board members also cited Schultz’s experience with integration in the Hopkins School District. They also discussed Schultz’s lack of energy during community meetings. The vote ultimately went in favor of Schultz.

The position of Edina Superintendent will be Schultz’s next job in an over 20-year career in education. He has worked as a science teacher at Hopkins North Junior High School and Epsilon, the Associate Principal at Eden Prairie High School, and a teacher of science education and elementary teaching methods at the University of Minnesota. Schultz was named Superintendent for Hopkins Public Schools in 2007 after being appointed the interim Superintendent in 2006.

Although he’ll be moving onto a new district, Schultz says he values his time in Hopkins immensely.

“My experience in Hopkins was dynamic and amazing! I had a great opportunity to work with very talented students in every building, a supportive School Board, amazing teachers and staff, and committed school leaders. My 11 years of leadership in Hopkins will be a highlight in my career,” said Schultz.

Schultz will begin his tenure as Edina Superintendent on July 1, leaving him four months to complete his time in Hopkins.

“During my last months, I plan on remaining committed to a school district that I love. I plan on being the best Superintendent that I can be!” said Schultz.