Girls hoops preview: Section finals

Mar 9, 2017

Bea Frank

Reana Suggs, junior, dribbles towards the hoop during the game.

The Royals girls basketball team will take on the Wayzata Trojans on Thursday, March 9 in the final game of the Section 6AAAA tournament at Roosevelt High School.

The Royals, who are undefeated this season, have already beat the Trojans twice this year, winning by a margin of over 30 points both times.  The Wayzata Trojans are 22-6 this season. Three of their losses have been against a Lake Conference team.

This season, the Royals have had a strong emphasis on defensive intensity. They have been able to execute all season, and the Wayzata game will hopefully be no different.

“We have practiced really hard. We just need to play our own game, have solid defense, and take care of the ball,” said Hannah Kleist, senior.

Despite their history of winning, winning isn’t all that the Royals have going for them to win Thursday’s game and the state title this season. The players also have a tight bond and a trust in each other that makes them unstoppable on the court.

“Being with my team and my coaches is the best part. The relationships we have with each other are super tight. I can rely on them for anything,” said Dee-Dee Winston, senior.

A win over Wayzata would advance the Royals to 29-0 this season. They also would advance to the state tournament, where they would play their first game on Tuesday, March 14.