Schultz named finalist for Superintendent position at Edina

Mar 5, 2017

On March 3, neighboring Edina school district announced their final two candidates for Superintendent, including a familiar face in Hopkins.

Dr. John Schultz, Superintendent, is one of the two finalists for the position. The announcement of Schultz’s candidacy for the position came as a surprise to the Hopkins constituency, as Schultz was added to the candidate slate a mere day before the announcement.  

Schultz’s possible transfer to Edina would conclude his ten years serving as the Hopkins superintendent, as well as a decades-long career in the district, from teaching to Director of Teaching and Learning to Interim Superintendent. Hopkins Public Schools has yet to announce any information concerning Schultz’s possible departure from the district.

If chosen, Schultz would replace 11-year Edina Superintendent Mr. Ric Dressen, who declared his intent to leave Edina on Oct. 24. Dressen will retire at the end of Edina’s school year on June 30.

According to Edina Public Schools, Schultz and fellow candidate Mr. Eric Schneider, assistant superintendent for Minnetonka Public Schools, will each participate in a “day in the district.” On March 8, Schultz will report to Edina to tour the district, participate in a Community and Teacher/Staff Forum, and will finally be interviewed by the Edina School Board.

Following Schneider and Schultz’s interviews, the Board will select Edina’s next Superintendent March 9.