AP exam registration opens

Feb 17, 2017

As the registration deadline is right around the corner, students like Ariel Shaver, junior, have yet to sign up for AP exams.

Shaver took AP Chemistry first semester, and is currently in AP Calculus and AP European History.

“AP tests are beneficial because if they pass them, students can get college credit for a lot cheaper, and it’s a good way to see what you’ve learned throughout the year,” Shaver said.

Chemistry, calculus, and European history are just a few of the many courses that the College Board offers AP testing in. Students have until Feb. 22 to register online for exams, which will take place from May 1 through May 12. The cost is 60 dollars per exam, plus a two dollar administration fee.

According to Mr. John Sammler, Advanced Studies Coordinator, around 150 students have registered for AP exams. He expects that by the time the registration window closes, the number will be greater than 500.

“The pattern is usually that people sign up in the last day or two before the registration deadline. I expect on Tuesday and Wednesday, there will be lots of registrations,” Sammler said.

According to Sammler, it is important to sign up for AP exams now because the College Board has a deadline for HHS to put an order in.

“In order for us to make sure that we order an exam for you, you need to tell us that you want to take the exams,” Sammler said. “That’s why it’s done early, because they’re doing it for every school in the country. They’re shipping out millions of exams, and they need time to get their ducks in a row.”

In order to prepare for her AP European History and AP English Language and Composition exams, Angie Raney, junior, plans on using study groups to her advantage.

“Study groups are the most helpful because while you can get information from your teachers, if you can get information from the people around you and what they’re taking in, it adds a whole new perspective than just using your teacher’s resources,” Raney said.

Shaver plans on studying a lot and reviewing all of the material that she learned throughout the year.

Right now, only about 30 percent of students expected to take the exam have actually registered. If students fail to register in time, they might miss out on the opportunity to get a head start towards college.

“If you pass the AP tests, you can get college credits, and they transfer to most universities. I just think it’s a good way to save money and pick up some extra credits,” Raney said.

As the registration window is coming to a close, students should register online  or contact Sammler. Registration after Feb. 22 will incur an additional 30 dollar late fee per exam.