GSA’s Drag Queen BINGO a hit at HHS

Feb 14, 2017

On Friday, Feb. 9, HHS’ Gender and Sexuality Alliance (GSA) hosted their annual Drag Queen BINGO event at the Eisenhower Community Center.

The unique event has been a long standing tradition within GSA, passed on from president to president. This year, Sam Clague, senior, inherited the event.

“Events like this encourage self expression, and they’re a fun time, and we’re raising money for something worthwhile,” Clague said on the importance of having events such as this at HHS.

Drag Queen BINGO is actually put on as a fundraiser for another GSA event, which takes place later in the year, Queer Prom (Qrom). However, BINGO has quickly become more than just a fundraiser.

After paying $5 for entry, HHS students were welcome to a night of BINGO, an egg and spoon race in high heels, a lip sync contest, and a drag race.

A favorite of those who attend, the Drag Race features GSA members racing to transform HHS staff into drag queens.

This years staff participants included Mr. Adam McDonald, administrator, Mr. Kirk Shoger, science, and Mr. John Sammler, science.

“While a lot of teachers were interested and supportive of the event, only three could make it. But they all did a great job and were really good sports about the whole thing. We’re all looking forward to next year, and GSA is excited for the event to continue growing,” said Ben Herstig, junior.

GSA currently meets Mondays after school in W117, and everyone is welcome.