Royals alpine looks to shred their way through sections

Feb 9, 2017

Sarah Hoffman, sophomore, skis down the hill.

provided by Hopkins West Junior High

Cold, struggling, but optimistic the young and striving HHS alpine team looks to excel at their sections meet on Thursday.

On Thursday from 6:30am to 4pm the boys and girls alpine teams will represent HHS at Afton Alps for the annual sections meet, trying to secure a spot for state. The conditions should be good, with a high of 18, low of 14, and 10 percent chance of precipitation.

The boys team has a legitimate shot at state this year being led by Nick Canitz, sophomore, Danny Mondale and Cole Polyak, seniors.

“You just gotta take it one step at a time and keep getting better and better,” Canitz said.

The boys are projected to have an open spot to fight for in sections. Minnetonka consistently gets a spot almost every year, but else than that, the spot is up for grabs for the Royals.

“We have a lot of potential because really not plateaued yet” said Luke Yourczak, junior.

The last time that the boys made the state tournament as a team was 2012, and the girls back in the 1990’s.

The girls team, led by Sarah Hoffman, sophomore, Sydney Mintalar and Evie Barczak, juniors. Another star on the team is Ally Zastoupil, senior, who is suffering from an injury and is out for sections.

The girls’ shot for sections this year is not looking too promising, having a section that is dominated by Minnetonka and Orono almost every year, so they are focusing on the bright future ahead of them.

“I think the girls and guys team are similar in the way that the teams are growing real fast,” Minalatar said.

The teams hope to place individuals for state at sections, they usually place 2-3 per year. This year, Hoffman, Kanitz, and Mondale are projected as the most likely to place for the Royals.