Girls hoops continues road to undefeated season

Feb 7, 2017

photo by Bea Frank

Asha Bozicevich, senior, dribbles ball past defender. The Royals beat the Warriors 72-58.

The Hopkins Royals defeated the Washington Warriors from Sioux Falls, S.D. on Friday, Feb. 3 by a score of 72-58. The Royals earned their victory on their home floor.

With their win on Friday, the girls advance to 21-0, continuing their undefeated season. The Washington Warriors, on the other hand, drop to 9-6 with their loss. This was Washington’s first loss this season to an out-of-state opponent.

Paige Bueckers, freshman, led the Royals with 26 points. Raena Suggs, junior, also had a productive game, scoring 17 points.

Asha Bozicevich, senior, captain, said the key to Friday’s win was defense.

We weren’t shooting very well in the first half, so we knew we had to come out with intensity on the other end of the court. This way, we were able to pick up more transition points and push tempo to our style of play,” Bozicevich said.

The Royals will take on the Annandale Cardinals on Tuesday, Feb. 7. The matchup is an away, non-conference game. The Cardinals are 10-6 this season, with the majority of their losses coming on their home floor.

To prepare for their game, the Royals are continuing their focus on defense. The team has focused on the importance of defensive intensity all year, and the Annandale game will be no different.

If we pay attention to detail and execute what we’ve worked hard on in practice, especially on the defensive end, we’ll just have to trust that we’ve prepared the best we possibly could,” Bozicevich said.