Player profile: Isaac Eng

Feb 2, 2017

Isaac+Eng%2C+junior%2C+strides+up+the+hills+at+highland.+This+was+the+third+meet+of+the+season+for+The+Royals.+

Isaac Eng, junior, strides up the hills at highland. This was the third meet of the season for The Royals.

As the Nordic ski team goes down the home stretch, one head emerges over all.

At 6’7”, Isaac Eng, junior, has just began to realize his potential in this sport.

“I joined (the team) as a freshman. I immediately fell in love with the team and its atmosphere. Just kind of having fun with the team,” Eng said. “I grew to be more serious in the sport the last two years, so sophomore and junior year. I really enjoy getting out there on the snow.”

Eng has the raw skills to be a top competitor at the varsity level. Although being quite new to the sport, Eng has used his physical gifts to his advantage.

“When you’re poling, the more leverage you can get the better. That’s a huge advantage for me. I take bigger strides than other kids,” Eng said.

As Eng has began to take the sport more serious, he has taken his own twist to pre-game rituals.

“The night before, I drink a full liter of water and go to bed. Get up in the morning and eat a big breakfast. Eggs, toast, or whatever sits right for me that day. Keep drinking a lot of water throughout the day. Pretty small lunch. Head out to wherever we’re skiing and once you get there, have a bagel,” Eng said. “Before each race starts, it’s all about hyping myself up. I can’t share what I tell myself before races. That’s confidential. I pretty much have to prepare myself for the pain in the next 16 minutes.”

Eng truly loves the team and will miss the Nordic squad.

“This is gonna sound cliche, but the Nordic team really becomes a family,” Eng said. “This is the saddest part of the year for me because it’s the end of the season. I know I won’t see them as much in the coming months.”