Royals boys hoops back on track with win at Skippers

Feb 1, 2017

Simon Wright, senior, prepares to shoot free throw. The Royals beat the Skippers 71-65.

AJ Condon

Last night, Tues., Jan. 31, the Royals boys basketball team beat the Minnetonka Skippers 71-65 at Minnetonka High School. The Royals move to 13-5 with a big road win vs. a lake conference opponent. With this win, the Royals improve to 4-3 on the road.

After coming off a loss to Champlin Park, the Royals needed to pick up their game.

The Royals fell behind early and worked the rest of the game to come back and earn a well-deserved win. With this win, the Royals move to a .500 record in the Lake Conference.

“We treat every game the same, we just wanted to come out and get it done, we got frustrated in the beginning but got it done in the end,” said Simon Wright, senior.

Blaise Beauchamp, freshman, and Ishmael El-Amin, senior, both led the Royals with 20 points. Wright, netted 16 points to help the Royals pick up a Lake Conference win.

“We finally started to pick it up defensively, we were slacking all game and finally got it going in the middle of the second half,” Wright said.

The Royals next contest is Fri., Feb. 3, when they play against Washington, South Dakota. The Warriors record is 7-7, they have played 18 games in total but 4 have not been recorded. The Royals are looking to improve their record to 14-5 and win back-to-back games.

The Royals game will be played at Minnetonka for another neutral game, so far the Royals are 2-0 in games like this.

After this game, the Royals then play Annandale Tues., Feb. 7, at Annandale.