Seniors Campbell and Lofton to take talents to SDSU

Jan 24, 2017

Hopkins football athletes Deyon Campbell, and Malik Lofton, seniors, have announced where they will be playing football next fall. They will both be attending South Dakota State University on athletic scholarships.

Both Campbell and Lofton had several Division One offers to schools like North Dakota State University, University of Northern Iowa, Montana State University, and University of Wyoming. Lofton liked the vibes that he got from the SDSU players and coaching staff which was a big reason for his commitment.

“I chose South Dakota State because of the support the program has behind it, and the SDSU environment,” Lofton said. “The coaching staff truly has cared about me and I feel that I have my best opportunity to pursue my dreams there.”

Both athletes were a key part to the Royals success on the football field this season. Lofton had seven touchdowns this season. Campbell had only three touchdowns but played much of the season with a torn meniscus.

Playing college football has always been on Campbell’s mind.

“Back in third grade when I first realized I was good at football, I thought to myself I wanted to play in the NFL one day,” Campbell said. “As I grew up I learned I needed to play college ball first, this goal became motivation for me. I want to make [my family and my mom] proud and take care of them.”

Both athletes have hopes of making noise in the next level by helping their team to a national title and attracting the attention of NFL scouts. Campbell and Lofton are also excited about the opportunity to play with eachother for the next four years.

“It’s like a dream come true, I couldn’t be here where I am without [Lofton],” Campbell said. “We push each other and make eachother better everyday. That will forsure continue at the next level.”