Royals route Jaguars with 7-0 win

Dec 16, 2016

Evie Barczak

Kylie Hanley, junior, takes the puck down the ice in the 7-0 win over Bloomington Jefferson. Hanley finished with a Hat Trick

With a record of 9-2, Royals girls hockey took the ice on Thurs. Dec. 15 against the Bloomington Jefferson Jaguars.

The game started off a little rocky, but after Kylie Hanley, junior, captain, scored her first goal of the night with Annika Patterson, junior, assisting, the Royals’ intensity increased.

“First period was a little sloppy, it was just chaotic. Then Kylie scored and our energy really picked up,” Patterson said.

Soon into the second period, Mary O’Neil, sophomore, scored followed by Erin Brousseau, 8th grader, Haberman and Hanley.

The Royals won the game 7-0 with final goals by Charlotte Rich, 8th grader, and Hanley.

However, the scorers weren’t the only contributing factor to the win. Patterson ended the game with four assists, and Annika Carlander, senior, is currently the No. 1 goaltender with 10 games won.

“I had to stay in the game mentally, despite the lack of shots I was seeing. That’s a big weakness for goaltenders and mastering it is even harder,” Carlander said.

Although the Royals’ first conference game isn’t until Sat. Dec. 17 against Eden Prairie, they knew it was important to take their nonconference games seriously.

“It was a good win for the team and it gave us a lot of momentum for conference play this weekend,” Haberman said.