Boys hockey looks to improve from last seasons 6-17-1 record

Dec 5, 2016

Minnesota is gearing up for it’s favorite sports season. Even though it is not a professional sport, high school boys hockey has a huge following in the state of Minnesota. And the Royals boys hockey team is getting ready too.

The Royals finished up their tryouts the week of Mon. Nov. 14. Now, with teams decided, the Royals are getting ready to start their season, and head coach Corey Peterson is ready as well. After having a record of 6-17-1 last season, Peterson wants to change what last year’s team lacked.

“Last year we were inconsistent with our work ethic and physical game. This year is a completely different group that we know can bring both to every practice and game,” Peterson said.

The Royals graduated 14 seniors last season. There are a lot of sophomore and junior players that will be moving up to play at the varsity level. Players will have to step up to that level. But Coach Peterson is not too concerned about this shift.

“We have a lot of talent coming up and as coaches we are excited. We expect the younger players to want to win and understand if they work for it they’ll get it,” Peterson said.

For all sports, the Royals play in the Lake Conference, which is renowned for the skill of the sports teams. But for boys hockey, the state champion, the Wayzata Trojans, and the State runner-up, the Eden Prairie Eagles, are both teams that the Royals will face twice a year. But this is something Coach Peterson is excited for.

“I like to play teams where we as coaches have to study up on and the players are anxious for. Look at our schedule and that’s most of them. The easiest way to answer that is Conference games. Everyone at those games are excited and the rink has a good energy,” Peterson said.  

Ryan St. Clair, senior, captain, is coming upon his senior season with the program, a moment he’s been thinking about since he started playing at 4 years old. St. Clair is excited to make this season a special one for the team.

“I’m excited for people to pack the Pav, (The Hopkins Pavilion where the Royals play their home games) and for the team to get some good W’s on our record,” St. Clair said.

With there only being 10 seniors on the squad, St. Clair has high expectations for his teammates. He also is excited to see goalie Bobby Wilson, junior, step up into the starting role, after goalie Parker Swanson moved to Michigan.

“I want the boys to be grinders, sauce some good passes, and bang some bodies. I want Bobby to have a stand out year as well. If we do that we’ll have a more successful year than last year,” St. Clair said.

St. Clair is ready to step-up for his teammates, and still knows he has work to do this year and is ready to leave it all out on the ice.

“I want to be named All-Conference, which is a huge accomplishment in the Lake [Conference].”

The Royals will play their first game against the Hudson (Wisconsin) High School Raiders on Fri. Nov. 25, at the Bielenberg Arena in Woodbury.