Player profile: Joe Hedstrom

Nov 21, 2016

Ruby Krietzman

Joe Hedstrom, junior, shoots a free throw in the state quarterfinal game.

Joe Hedstom, junior, is going to move into a starting role and be a key player for the Royals boys basketball team this year.

Hedstrom started playing basketball at a young age, and his love for the game has grown since then.

“I started playing ball in the fourth grade and it grew into a passion over the years. I also have a brother who played basketball for Hopkins so it kind of runs in the family,” Hedstrom said.

Hedstrom is also used to playing against older competition. When he played in the Hopkins Royals Boys Basketball Association as a grade schooler, he always played up a grade and was usually on the best team.

College basketball is a big goal for Hedstrom and has a couple of Division One offers from schools like the University of North Dakota, North Dakota State University and the University of Denver.

“I have a couple of Division One offers right now from UND, NDSU, and UD. More schools, like Nebraska, Drake, Cal Poly and the University of South Dakota have also expressed interest in me as well,” Hedstrom said.

As far as this season goes, Hedstrom wants to improve his abilities and get back to the State Tournament.

“I want to improve the team and be a leader on the court. Ultimately, I want to get another shot at the State Title and also get my name out there more,” Hedstrom said.