El-Amin chooses to fly with the Cardinals at Ball State

Over the course of the past year, recruiters from over six colleges reached out to El-Amin and expressed their interest in him.

Oct 11, 2016

On Sept. 26, 2016, Ishmael El-Amin, senior, posted a video with the help of Zach Roy, senior, announcing where he would be playing his college basketball next year. El-Amin chose to take his talents to Ball State University in Indiana, to play college basketball.

Over the course of the past year, recruiters from over six colleges reached out to El-Amin and expressed their interest in him. Some of the other colleges that offered El-Amin included, Tennessee State, Denver, Nevada, DePaul, and Wisconsin Green-Bay.

“I chose Ball State because of the relationships I built with the coaching staff over the months they were recruiting me. They made me feel wanted, and made me feel like they really needed me to come help the team win. Also, I just felt like it was the best fit for me as a player to develop and become a better player,” El-Amin said.

“My parents had a huge impact when I was making my decision,” El-Amin said. “They helped me think about every little thing and then when I made my decision they were my biggest supporters.”

Ball State is in the Mid-American Conference, or the MAC. The MAC is split up into two separate divisions, the East division, and the West division which Ball State falls under. Some notable teams that are in the MAC are, Miami (Ohio), Central Michigan, Northern Illinois, and many more teams.

With his college team already set, El-Amin now looks to help lead the Royals reclaim one more state championship title during his tenure.

“My biggest goal this season is to make it back to the state tournament, we have the team to do it, we have all the pieces to be really good we just need to be ready when practice starts and ready to learn,” El-Amin said. “Another goal I have is to be a Candidate for Minnesota’s Mr.Basketball.”  

Mr. Basketball is a very honorable and prestigious award given out to the best high school basketball player in Minnesota. Last year, Amir Coffey, HHS alumni won the award. Some other notable winners include HHS alumni, Siyani Chambers (2012), Joe Coleman (2011), Royce White (2009), Blake Hoffarber (2007), and Kris Humphries (2003).

El-Amin is looking forward to closing out his senior year with a bang, and ultimately going to Ball State next year and making a name for himself. El-Amin has already met the entire basketball team at Ball State, while he was on his official visit on the campus.

“I’m just excited to get on campus, and get ready to start practice. Especially will College Basketball starting. It’s just a year until that’s me,” El-Amin said.