Royals football drops back to .500 with loss to Trojans

Matt Gerstner, Sports Reporter

The Royals fell to the Wayzata Trojans 20-21 on a cold friday night to return back to a 3-3 record and sitting at .500. Despite a fight put up by both teams, a missed Royals extra-point kick midway through the 4th quarter was ultimately what sealed the deal for the Trojans to win the game.

Wayzata opened up the scoring in the last minute of the first quarter, with a pick-six, but the Royals were quick to answer, when Jadon Washington, sophomore, took the ball for a 62-yard gain. Yacob Yesehak, senior, made the extra-point kick to tie the game up at 7-7 in the first quarter. Trojans then scored shortly after, making the score 7-14

After a scoreless second quarter, the Royals started the scoring off when Morgan Holmes, senior, connected with Malik Lofton, senior, captain, who converted the pass into a 61-yard gain. Yesehak then made the extra point, making the score 14-14.

Midway through the 4th quarter, Matthias Harris, junior, recovered a fumble a took the ball in for a touchdown, but the extra-point kick was missed by Yesehak, making the score 20-14.

In the final minute of play, the Trojans scored on a two-yard run, as well as converting the extra-point, to win the game 20-21.

The Royals travel to Minnetonka to face the Skippers at their home field on Friday, October 14 at 7 p.m.