Royals rally to score 21 unanswered, beat Hornets on Homecoming

Matt Gerstner, Sports Reporter

The Royals improved to 2-2, rallying after a 0-14 first half, scoring 21 unanswered points to beat the Edina Hornets in front of the roaring Homecoming crowd.

After a cold and rainy first half, the Royals took the field in the second half as a different team, and went to work. Halfway through the third quarter, Morgan Holmes, senior, Quarterback connected with Tyler Schebloom, senior, for six. With the extra-point conversion from Yacob Yesehak, senior, kicker, it was 7-14 Hornets.

Minutes later Malik Lofton, senior, captain, hauled the ball in for a 23-yard gain, and Yesehak converted once again tying the game up 14-14.  The Hornets couldn’t answer, and in the fourth quarter, Holmes ran the ball in to the end zone to give the Royals their first lead of the game of 21-14.

In the last seconds of the fourth quarter, with the Hornets pushing to score a last second touchdown, Boye Mafe, senior, captain, rushed through the Hornets offensive line, sacking their quarterback, causing a fumble and recovering to seal the win for the Royals.

“I felt great,” said Sam Oxford, senior, captain. “We know we’re a good team and to finally fire on all cylinders just felt like a relief, especially when [Homecoming] is one of our biggest games during the season.”

The Royals rushed for 276 yards and passed for 89 yards.

The Royals take on the Shakopee Sabers on Fri. Sept. 30, 7:00 p.m., at Shakopee High School.