Petty pitches third shutout, Royals improve to 6-2

Cole Kristal, Sports Reporter

The Royals girls soccer team hosted the Eden Prairie Eagles Tues.,Sept. 20. The Royals came into the game with a record of 5-2, after the recent loss to Wayzata.

Last Thurs., Sept. 15, the Royals were supposed to face the Hornets at Edina High School, which was cancelled due to flooding of the turf.

The final score of the game was 1-0, Royals over the Eagles, improving the Royals record to 6-2.

Royals came out onto the field intense and ready to win. Isabelle Olson, senior, scored the Royals only goal and the only goal of the game.

“The goal came from a nice cross from Lauren Sperling [senior] on the wing and I happened to be wide open and volleyed it in,” Olson said. “The game as a whole was very well played. We were composed as a team and didn’t give up.”

Eagles were unable to get anything going, struggling to get down the field, and kick a ball past Hopkins goalie, Jordyn Petty, senior. Royals played a solid defense not allowing the Eagles to score.

On Thursday Sept. 22, the Royals will have a rematch against the Skippers at Minnetonka High School at 6:00 p.m. The most recent game against the skippers was an intense one. The game went into overtime, and the Royals scored a game winning goal beating the skippers 2-1.